iFS™ Advanced Femtosecond Laser
We are one of the first practices in the country to offer the iFS™ Advanced Femtosecond Laser. An improvement upon the fourth-generation IntraLase™ FS Laser, the fifth-generation iFS™ Femtosecond Laser provides the same level of safety, precision, and high-quality results, but with increased speed and lower energy output to help reduce tissue inflammation. The iFS™ Laser is fully customizable and creates a corneal flap in less than 10 seconds.
In addition, the new iFS™ Laser includes a high-resolution digital video microscope, a touch screen, and an ergonomic design, all of which help our surgeons provide you with a more comfortable LASIK experience.
Years ago, the Atlanta Vision Institute was one of the first centers to introduce blade-free LASIK surgery to the area. This laser revolutionized the LASIK procedure by replacing the metal-bladed microkeratome with a silent, computer-guided laser. Prior to IntraLase, step one of the LASIK procedure involved making a thin flap of corneal tissue with a metal razor blade called a microkeratome. Although still considered to be quite safe, it was the riskiest part of a LASIK procedure. If a serious complication were to occur, it usually was the result of a microkeratome mishap or malfunction. The IntraLase laser replaces the metal blade with a precise, silent, computer-guided laser resulting in a procedure that is 100 times more accurate than a bladed microkeratome. This gives greater assurance that step one of the LASIK eye surgery will be more accurate and safe, giving patients the best LASIK result possible. IntraLase™ flaps are also much thinner and more accurate than microkeratome-made flaps. Because of this advancement, patients with thinner corneas who have been turned down in the past may now be able to have LASIK.
The Atlanta Vision Institute continues to invest in new technology to ensure our patients receive the safest surgery with the best possible outcomes. The cost of the LASIK procedure is mostly towards the extraordinary expense of these sophisticated machines, however we believe it is in the best interest of our patients to continue to invest in new and more advanced technology.
The New IFS IntraLase™ Laser Allows Dr Ashraf to:
- Provide our patients with a safer procedure by eliminating the more serious complications caused by the bladed microkeratome.
- Provide an all-laser surgery for better precision and predictability.
- Reduce dryness after surgery. Several reports have demonstrated less dryness after laser flap creation.
- Reduce the amount of pressure buildup in the eye when compared to the bladed microkeratome. Doing so increases patient comfort and safety.
- Create thinner flaps, freeing up more tissue so that we can operate on patients with thinner corneas.
- Increase the chance of 20/20 vision or better.
Advantages of the New iFS IntraLase™ Laser:
- Increased patient comfort.
- Faster procedure (creates a flap in as little as 9 seconds).
- Enhanced safety features.
- Ability to make an inverted, bevel-in edge for the corneal flap. This modification allows the LASIK surgeon to tuck the edge of the flap underneath the periphery of the cornea rather than resting on top (see illustration). This has been shown to create stronger flap adherence, with less chance of striae (wrinkles) post LASIK.
- The corneal flap can be created in an elliptical shape which has shown added benefit for patients with astigmatism.
The Atlanta Vision Institute is proud to be the first site in the greater Atlanta area to provide the new iFS IntraLase™ technology. If you have questions about IntraLASIK surgery, or would like to schedule a free LASIK exam to see if this new technology is right for you, please call (770) 622-2488.
Testimonials of Using the New iFS IntraLase™ Laser:
“My surgery was excellent, no complications, very comfortable and easy. It was over before I knew it.”
“I would definitely recommend Dr. Ashraf to all of my friends and family with vision needs. He helped me to understand exactly what the procedure was going to be like and he did a great job.”
“My wife really enjoyed getting to watch the surgery. It helped her to feel that I was safe and doing well.” –Danny Barclay, Moreland, GA